What does the Beatitudes, summarized, say?
Divinely blessed are you:
- when you feel that you are spiritually cut off from God;
- you deeply grieve your aloneness;
- the grief sifts you down to your essence;
- causing you act authentically and with integrity in the world;
- and though being authentic brings you mistreatment;
- you don’t mistreat others in return, but instead see the world through their eyes
because THEN the world that God intends can burst into being – through your grief, struggles, efforts, and authenticity – a world of love and peace and joy. The kingdom of heaven on earth.
And then you – and all of creation – will be happy.